As we reach the end of the semester and the year, I would like to share with you what the SSCCC has accomplished to date and what is next.
At the beginning of my term, I sought to ensure students knew who we are and what we do. Here are some of our accomplishments to date:
- This semester the Board of Directors and Executives visited and engaged with students at five colleges including Long Beach City College, Merritt College, Reedley College, San Diego Miramar College, and Santa Monica College;
- We partnered with the California Community College Student Affairs Association to engage students in the fall and to increase participation in our caucuses during their annual Student Leadership Conference;
- We re-established our commitment to bringing back the March in March (see below for more information);
- For the first time ever, we are collaborating with the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges on their June Leadership Training in June 2020. During this event, local ASO leaders will receive training and be given an opportunity to collaborate and work with their own faculty leaders;
- We re-established our part in the coalition with the California State Student Association and the University of California Student Association to continue the campaign to #FixFinacialAid;
- In October, we successfully lobbied for the $2 Student Representation Bill, AB 1504 (Medina), which was signed into law by Governor Newsom and will provide the SSCCC with millions in funding to be used for statewide advocacy, and organizational stability and much more; and
- We will be introducing the SSCCC legislative priorities in the state legislature next year at the beginning of the legislative cycle.
As you can see, we have had many accomplishments this semester and we are only getting started. Subscribe to our Listserv and join us in our efforts to make real change! Click here and volunteer to serve on one of the statewide governance committees. In addition, if you would like the SSCCC to visit your campus, contact us and let's talk about how we can engage your students!
On behalf of the SSCCC Board of Directors, we wish you happy holidays and a happy new year!
Danny Thirakul, SSCCC President
Read the full December 2019 Newsletter for more information.